Assignment on Environmental Impact Assessment of Sewerage Management of Dhaka City

The first build pipe borne sewer system for Dhaka City dates back to 1923. Since then sewerage system in Dhaka has been developed slowly and at present there are about 785 Km sewer line in Dhaka city serving only 30 % area where 20 % people of the city are using sewerage service facilities. Sanitation, waste water management, disposal of industrial & domestic sewage is becoming a major concern for Dhaka City right from the very beginning of it’s origin as capital city of independent Bangladesh. Population in Dhaka city has been boomed in the last couple of decades. Utility services were not built up in harmony with the expansion of Dhaka city. As construction of sewer line is very costly, very steady progress in expansion of sewerage system was made during this period. Bangladesh government is committed to provide 100 % sanitary sewage disposal facilities to the citizen to keep pace with its millennium Development Goal.Dhaka Water Supply and Sewerage Authority (DWASA) is responsible for the provision, operation and maintenance of water supply, sanitation and storm water disposal services to the population of Dhaka City as stipulated in the Water Supply and Sewerage Authority Act, 1996.

Dhaka city is the capital of Bangladesh, a country of about 140 million people. Dhaka city is estimated to have a 2005 population of about 11 million people within the Dhaka Metropolitan Area (DMA) and 8.6 million within the DWASA service area. DWASA is responsible for operating and maintaining the: (i) water supply services; (ii) sewerage services and (iii) storm water drainage service of the city of Dhaka. It is estimated that DWASA presently serves total of 7.7 million (people with water supply, nearly 90% of the people living in the Dhaka WASA Service area. The remaining estimated 10% (860,000. people) are mostly served by private wells abstracting water from the same aquifer under the city.
The population of Dhaka City is growing at a frightening pace and based on detailed analysis of available census data and present land use pattern the population of the present DWASA service area is projected to increase to 17.2 million by year 2025 while another 4.4 million will be staying within Dhaka Metropolitan Area but in areas presently not served by DWASA (TA Final Report, 2007).
DOWNLOAD FULL