Research Proposal on Smoking Prevalence

Smoking is a global public health concern. It is now recognized as a major public health problem in the developing world. To our knowledge, no study explicitly analyzed smoking among the general male students living or non living in the residential halls located in the premises of Dhaka University of Bangladesh. Therefore, such information is seriously lacking in case of Bangladesh.

The study will investigate smoking behavior and attitudes among two groups of male students: the first will consist of a number of students selected from the graduation level of different subjects; the second will include the students from the level of post graduation. Data will be collected largely by interview supplemented by some direct observation and relevant secondary data. The study will aim to identify the depth of the prevalence of smoking among the students of the University of Dhaka, the largest and greatest university of Bangladesh.
The study will be conducted through the method of Interview in which I as a researcher will ask some questions that will be answered by the respondents who I will select for the study. The crucial questions will be like that – How old are you? Do your father, mother or any other members of your family smoke? Though you are a student, do you have any income source? When have you started smoking? Is there any specific reason that forces you to smoke? How many cigarettes do you consume in a day? Do you have any knowledge about the bad impact of smoking on your health? How much do you spend for smoking daily? Do your family members know about your addiction to smoking? What makes you smoke? The study, I hope that, will be more effective and the issue of smoking is a crucial one for social research.

Smoking is now recognized as a major public health problem in the developing world. Despite this, there is a dearth of relevant data on smoking prevalence and on the characteristics and attitudes of smokers: in particular, studies are lacking among teenagers and young adults, the group in which the habit frequently begins. Smoking is a global public health concern. About 1.1 billion people smoke worldwide, which is expected to rise to more than 1.6 billion by 2025. It causes huge premature deaths and poses considerable economic burden among the poor people especially living in developing countries like Bangladesh. Worldwide the toll of tobacco is already high (Gavin, 2004). Unfortunately the low and middle income countries will experience more tobacco-attributable deaths in future decades. Worldwide tobacco-attributable deaths were 4.83 million in 2000, which are projected to reach at 6.4 million in 2015 and 8.3 million in 2030. In the low- and middle income countries such deaths are projected to increase from 3.4 million to 6.8 million between 2002 and 2030. Bangladesh, a third world, country is a smoking affected zone. Very recent survey reports reveal this very significantly. For instance, a very recent survey by “Campaign for Clean Air” reveals that 71.79% of total male population aged above 18 is addicted to smoking in Bangladesh. Of which 44% starts from early age and the rest 56% from the age of 18. This survey is carried on in various locations including Dhaka University campus. But there is a lack of complete research in the campus separately. For this reason, I have chosen to carry out my research on smoking prevalence in the campus of the University of Dhaka. International studies have addressed the prevalence of smoking among students despite their knowledge on the hazardous impact of smoking on health. Smoking related diseases such as pulmonary diseases, stroke, ischemic heart disease, lung cancer and oral cancer are well documented in literature. In the regions where the tuberculosis is prevalent, smokers have greater risk of dying from pulmonary tuberculosis as compared to non-smokers. Tobacco related illnesses accounted for 16% of the total deaths among the general population of Bangladesh who are aged 30 years and above. Smoking is also positively linked with the illicit drug use in Bangladesh, which is another public health concern. The cost of tobacco consumption at the national level is found to be associated with the increased health-care costs, loss of productivity due to illnesses and early deaths and environmental damages. In order to protect our student society, this study will be informative and effective.